OHS Scheme

Free hearing aids for pensioners and veteransThe Federal Government wants to ensure that priority is given to key health issues. Hearing loss is one of these priorities, hence government created the Office of Hearing (OHS) specifically to address hearing needs of Australians. OHS can assist pensioners and veterans in receiving these services without any out of pocket cost and that includes hearing aids if needed. This voucher can only be authorized/issued by a Doctor/GP, who believes that you might be having hearing problems. The doctor issues the voucher to the patient who then nominates an accredited hearing service provider and sends the voucher to OHS. This voucher comes back to the patient after the OHS’s approval and the patient brings it back to the nominated hearing service provider to receive free hearing test. If hearing loss is detected, then the audiologist processes the documents on behalf of the patient to receive free hearing aids.

This process is a bit time consuming, but we at Global Hearing have the advantage to make it quicker as we have both the Care Family Practice and Global Hearing under the same roof. We even send the voucher directly to OHS once you nominate Global Hearing as your preferred hearing service provider after seeing the doctor.

Click here to open the website for the Office of Hearing Services.

Who is eligible?

The eligibility is simple. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, 21 years of age and over, and must have one of the following:

  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Health Repatriation Card
  • White Health Repatriation Card that includes hearing loss
  • Centrelink Sickness Allowance

You may also be eligible if you are:

  • Dependant of an eligible person above
  • A Serving Defence Force Member
  • A CRS Australia patron

Australian citizens who do not fit the above eligibility criteria must address and fund their hearing loss issues through privately managed funds. In some cases where an individual is under 21 years and/or is an Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander and above 50 years in age, they can only get funded if they go to a government owned and managed facility like Australian Hearing:

How do you apply for a voucher?

Once eligibility is confirmed or even if you are in doubt, please call Global Hearing on (03) 9851 4440 and we will be happy to assist. First time applicants would need a doctor’s assistance to complete the Application Form and need doctor’s authorization before sending off the form.

If you have been using your current hearing aid for the past two years under the OHS scheme from another service provider, we might be able to assist you and request a new voucher on your consent. At the completion of two year you have complete freedom to change from one hearing care provider to another if you are unhappy with the existing provider and the relationship is irreparable or simply because it is no longer convenient for you to get to the existing provider.

Book a free consulation

To find out more about the Office of Hearing Services Voucher Scheme and your eligibility, please call Global Hearing to arrange an obligation free consultation. Alternatively, click here to use our appointment request form.

Home | Our Hearing Clinic | Hearing Loss Treatment in Bulleen | Treatment for Hearing Loss in Doncaster East | Cochlear Implants in Templestowe | Tinnitus Treatment in Balwyn | Privacy Policy | Locations | Contact Us
All right reserved - Globalhearing | Saturday - 28-Mar-2020 SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Give Feedback